Friday, May 19, 2017

Over The Top

Today we started out at Cordes Junction and headed up I-17 to get back to Route 66 in Flagstaff where we left off. For those of you who know the area, we left I-17 at Arizona State 179 for a drive-by of Sedona. I have always heard how beautiful it is but mere words have never properly described this place. I shall not attempt to do what others could not do for me. I can show a few pictures and they too will not do justice to describing the magnificent beauty to be encountered here. Though we took multiple photos, I won't post too many as this was a side trip, but this is one you need to take and plan on staying a long while!







As we approached this magnificent canyon, the overpowering scent of pine filled the air. It was just one of those moments that shall forever be ingrained in me. Any future scent of pine will bring me back to this wonderful place.


A shot of Humphrey's Peak, elevation 12,600 feet, heading back up to Flagstaff.


A great old gas station now a deli and store.


Welcome to Williams. Lots of great things to see and do.



A stop at Twisters Soda Fountain is a must.





I was able to teach this guy a few things.


We then checked into our motel in Seligman, AZ. The motel is historic and is decorated to the max with Route 66 memorabilia.


We are in room 3 where Burl Ives once slept.



After getting settled, we went back to Angel Delgadillo's Barber Shop. Angel is the reason for the resurgence of Route 66. After the town was bypassed with the opening of I-40, Angel had the notion of creating Historic Route 66. He is the one who started all of this. After years of hard work, Historic Route 66 began here in Arizona. Other States soon caught hold of the vision and here we are today. What an incredible honor to meet this man. Thank you Angel!



Incidentally, Angel is on both sides of me. The one on the right is a cardboard cut-out. The one between Rita and me is the real deal! I'm sitting in the barber chair.


And right next door to Angel's is the Snow Cap which was run by his brother, Juan. It is now run by Juan's son, John.


This place is incredibly fun. They make you laugh with every new sentence that comes out of their mouths. Pictured are John and Darci, (with an I).


Seligman is a town that everyone should visit. You will not be disappointed! Though we enjoyed multiple views of all of the mountains today, our high surpasses the height of even Humphrey's peak. Today really was over the top!






1 comment:

  1. Loving following along with you two. Also enjoyed the time talking this morning. SO glad your having a great time. Looking forward to another day's journey of photos and script.

    ReplyDelete