Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Riding the Alaska Highway

We started out this morning at about 8:00 to temperatures in the 40s and light rain. We stopped for the day 282 miles from where we started with temperatures in the 40s and light rain. We did not have a time when it was not raining on us. I really can't complain in that we have only had a few days of rain when we first started out. We have driven 6 weeks without seeing rain. We feel pretty fortunate. We are stopped for the night in Fort Nelson, BC. I'm afraid I will have very little for show and tell today. We didn't want to take the camera out in the rain, so few photos were taken. There were some exceptions, however.

I took this photo at the Alaska Highway House, knowing that we would be crossing the bridge today.






This really is an amazing thing that this bridge, built 75 years ago, is still in use. The Alaska Highway has been diverted but this old 5 mile long portion can be taken if you so choose. We did.



We drove past a rather large pine forest that was part of a forest fire one year ago. These don't look like they are trees but they are actually about thirty feet tall. This was on both sides of the road.


And I'm thinking I may have to fire my photographer. I saw this bear on the left side of the road and did a u-turn. The bear ever so slowly ambled across the road. Rita did not photograph him. I did another u-turn and she took this out of focus photo.


And this uninteresting photo is a river just before we entered Fort Nelson. This marks the lowest altitude of anywhere on the Alaska Highway at 1000 feet above sea level.


Tomorrow's weather promises to be better and so does my photographer. We'll see.

Till Tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Rita, just jump on the motorcycle in the morning and let the "new photographer" ride in the side car. That might just quiet him down (nice way of saying "shut him up").
    Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are making great progress, well in front of me now. Maybe we'll meet again on your way down and my way up 🙂
    Stay safe, Mark
    www.facebook.com/RTW4TCT

    ReplyDelete