Sunday, June 18, 2017

One Tok Over the Line!

We are now in our eighth week of travel, though we are not wishing this away. We have many more miles to cover, and sights to see, before we return home in 3 weeks.

We safely arrived in Tok, Alaska, though not without a bit of consternation. We have driven 8100 miles since we left home. My rear tire was new with about 1000 miles on it before we left. I had a new front tire put on in Amarillo, TX about 5000 miles ago. I knew the Alaska Highway was tough on tires so I knew to keep an eye out. Throughout British Columbia and especially in Yukon Territory, they chip seal the highway for long stretches; that is, they lay down a bed of tar and drop crushed shale gravel over that; they then use traffic to drive the stones into the base. There are areas of 60 miles that you cannot avoid driving on. I drive slow and look for areas already packed down. Needless to say, I am in need of two tires. My last rear tire I got over 20,000 miles on it. I knew I would be needing a rear tire for sure, so I have an appointment booked for Anchorage. Tomorrows chore will be to see how we can use U-haul to stay on schedule.

I am grateful for all of the prayers spoken for our safety. We felt them today. We were never upset, put out or worried. We realized 30 miles from the Alaska border that we would not be able to make our destination 100 miles after we reached the border. We called for a wrecker who could not cross the border so we had to drive on a thread bare tire to cross the border. We made it safely and the wrecker safely delivered us to our motel. We will figure out the balance of our challenge tomorrow.



Our wrecker driver told us that he sees this often due to the sharp shards of shale. They grind the tires prematurely. We really did have an incredible day in spite of a 3.5 hour wait for the tow truck and a three hour adventure to load the bike and drive the 100 miles into Tok. We are now 4 hours difference from back home. We are now on Alaska time, so I'm posting this at 8:39 PM Alaska time. My notes will be brief as will the photos.



This morning for over two hours, this was our view with every new curve. We were not looking at the same mountain over and over but rather, multiple mountains. I'd look in the mirrors and get dizzy because I was looking at almost the exact same thing in front and on both sides. Incredible!!!


This beautiful grizzly bear mama and her cub were on the side of the road. I had to do a u-turn to let Rita get a good photo of them. I am reminded of the saying, When being chased by bears, you don't have to be the fastest, you just have to outrun the slowest. I knew I was good. Actually, we were a safe distance but, nonetheless, mama took notice. She had a wounded left front paw so she ambled between us and her cub. Seriously, who would not want to scratch them behind the ears?


This is a picture of just one such spot we traversed today. Yesterday we had a stretch of 60 miles with this loose gravel.



And, dun, dun, dun, dun!!! Welcome to Alaska. An overwhelming feeling for both of us. Only 8000 miles, but a lifetime to conquer!


I love the International Boundary. As far as the eye can see, it is mowed. I can just hear the two siblings arguing, I mowed it last! No I mowed it last! It's your turn! Stop it or I'm going to have to separate you two!

Thank you Canada for being our closest neighbor. This is the longest unsecured border in the world. Impressive!


Thank you for riding along! Let's see what adventure awaits us tomorrow!

Till Tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment